Username Password: Remember me

Staining in Winter - Tips
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Staining in Winter - Tips

Staining in Winter - Tips 3 years, 7 months ago #1036

• bigchaz
  • Senior Boarder
Forum been looking a little slow, figured I'd try to pick some brains as we wait around for Thanksgiving dinner!

Those up North this may not apply, but I'm curious about anyone who has kept working wood restoration into colder months. In North Carolina we do get some cold days but there are some "warm" periods as well

The main thing I've noticed is how long the wood takes to dry out after being washed. With the sun so low I had a few projects last week that were sitting for almost a week (no rain) and still damp. A few rainy days in there and that easily stretches to several weeks. At what point does that become a risk?

Also with AC...Jake, could you maybe shed some light on what happens to the stain below recommended temperature? Yea yea I know the can says 50 degrees or something, how necessary would you say that is? For instance during the day it may get up to 55 degrees by 2pm so we stain the deck, dark by 5pm and by then temperature is already down to the 40s again. If the daytime is in the 50s but overnight is 30s is that still OK or should the wood remain warm throughout the curing process?

I'll be honest I've stained one or two with less than ideal temperature or moisture content and while I certainly don't make a practice of it, no problems so far anyway. How much wiggle room do you think I have in these winter months?
Charlie Soden
Apex DeckSavers
NC Deck Cleaning and Deck Staining
919-302-1523

Re: Staining in Winter - Tips 3 years, 7 months ago #1037

• Diamond jim
  • Junior Boarder
U have a much better chance in NC because of better temps . I just did a last minute job against my better judgement and had a major issue. Simply coatings don't and can't dry correctly. It will erode and fail when precipitation falls on it. I did a set of garage doors last Thanksgiving week and they didn't dry until spring. I will add jap drier to increase drying this time of year and early spring.

Re: Staining in Winter - Tips 3 years, 7 months ago #1045

• thesealerstore
  • Administrator
  • PM me if you have Site Questions!
Charlie, In my experience as long as you have a few hours of drying at the minimum temperature you should be ok. Dropping below freezing if the stain is still wet is the main concern.
Scott Paul

Re: Staining in Winter - Tips 3 years, 7 months ago #1047

• jake clark
  • Expert Boarder
  • Please contact me for Armstrong Stain questions
Charley,

The above are all helpful advice. I would like to add that the temperature of the stain at time of use is critical. If you keep the stain outdoors or in an unheated shed it will be much thicker than summer time. If you can keep the stain indoors at room temperature the night before, it will apply like a warm spring day.

Also the curing time is extended during cool days, about a day or so.

Hope this helps,

Jake
Jake Clark
Armstrong Wood Stain
1 800 565 8211
User Friendly Oil Based Finishes
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.19 seconds